20 Weeks! Halfway There!

Twenty weeks is a wonderful milestone in pregnancy so I thought I’d post an update!

I honestly can’t believe I’m already halfway there. I don’t even know where the time went. Half of the time I didn’t even feel pregnant. If it weren’t for my belly growing, prenatal appointments, and my little snowpea rolling all over the place in my tummy, it wouldn’t sink in me that there’s really a growing human being inside me. Oh, I love those little kicks. It’s such a lovely feeling.:)

Ja on the RUN

How far along? 20 weeks!!!

Gender? Boy!:)

Ja on the RUN

Baby BOY on “board”

Stretch marks? none (yet)

Belly Button? still in.:)

Maternity clothes? My normal clothes are already feeling too tight around the boobs and tummy. I splurged mostly on maternity workout clothes since I figured it will be the clothes that I’ll be wearing for the most part of my pregnancy. I got them from this online company called For Two Fitness.

PicMonkey Collage                                          20 weeks                                                                                     15 weeks

I love them that I wear them even when I’m just lounging around at home or going out in the mall. They’re so soft and comfy.

I also got a pair of maternity jeans – AG jeans from Destination Maternity.

IMG_6191

Oh boy, these jeans are wonderful! It felt soooo right! I was actually insisting on buying maternity clothes but when I bought these, I began to understand the logic behind maternity clothes – how they were made to accommodate the ever-changing growth happening around the belly area. It was instant relief from the discomfort I’d feel as I continued to force myself into regular pants.

It’s nice to have a pair of maternity jeans but when they’re in the laundry I use these gems!

IMG_6190

I got these extenders and belly band from Amazon and they work wonders. They allow me to continue wearing my normal non-maternity pants. They’re a real blessing!

It’s still around 20 degrees here! :/ I can’t wait for spring so I can wear some of my looser dresses for casual day time.

Sleep? My full sized pregnancy pillow is a life saver! It’s shaped like a big squidgy letter “C” that I can hug when I’m sleeping on my side. It’s an awesome pillow and very beneficial for my  body to support the growing bump.

IMG_6188

Food Cravings? Lately, I have been craving for milk chocolate candies and chocolate cookies! And because it’s still cold, I crave for ramen and pho noodle soup too!:)

Miss anything? Red wine!!! …But upon seeing posts about Shirley Temple’s death, I remembered this non-alcoholic drink made with lemon-lime soda and grenadine. I searched for the recipe online and made it. The best non-alcoholic beverage ever!

PicMonkey Collage

Anyone tried this drink?

What I’m looking forward to? Getting a proper looking bump so I’d look really pregnant instead of just a bloated looking tummy.:) LOL!

What I wish people knew? Hmm… this is going to be a long one.

When I had friends who got pregnant before me, I remember how I used to comfort them (though I couldn’t relate to them at that time yet) when they opened up their feelings of how they got affected towards comments of some people. People may think their comments may seem like a compliment or showing care but some can really make pregnant women paranoid and worried.

I now know and feel what my friends felt. I, myself, pregnant, am experiencing a lot of those weird statements and I get so affected easily. It seems as if society has this way of discouraging women, scaring us with horror stories instead of encouraging us welcome, embrace, and look at pregnancy, birth, and having a newborn, more positively. For some, to be a first, second, third time mom already brings more than enough concerns on its own. I just wish they don’t put more to that anymore.

I’m going to share a couple of statements I got so far from my 20 weeks of being pregnant. I know I’ll get more ’til the end of my term, and up to how I raise my kids. People will always have something to say. It will never end. There are certain comments that we’ll never get used to even if we have learned to laugh them off. But I’m glad I am now learning to put my emotions aside and shrug these things off. As I knew whom to and not to believe, whom to take seriously, from those who deserve attention and consideration. And if there’s one thing I picked up from talking to my mom friends from all walks of life, is: every pregnancy, every woman, every child is different …TRUE!

STATEMENT 1: “You’re blooming, you’re going to have a baby girl. You become ugly if it’s a boy.” (Yikes!)

Me: Uhm, thanks! But, I’m having a boy. I hope you still think I’m blooming. LOL!

Of course, I appreciate these remarks. Compliments never felt this good! But basing the gender on how you look during pregnancy? I say, don’t believe in this. Our looks change because of the way our hormones affect us, as well as our diet. Whatever physical changes you go through are caused by the way you carry the baby and not because of its gender. I have a lot of friends who carried baby boys and were very gorgeous throughout their pregnancy. It’s common for pregnant women to get the unwanted fat and dark lines and these things will go away after the term. They’re not only specific for moms carrying baby boys. The other thing is, I learned to put extra effort to my looks ever since I found out I was pregnant. The bump can be pretty awkward sometimes so I really take time to fix myself and pick clothes that will make it look better. I make sure to put some effort into things that will help me feel good about my pregnant self.:)

STATEMENT 2: “What?! You’re still running?”
“You should take a break, it’s
dangerous for the baby.”

I get bombarded with these comments when I post pictures of me running while pregnant on Instagram. Apparently some of the people over there become experts and perfect. That comment to me sounded like I am the worst mom-to-be in the world. I just want to say that I am NOT going to do anything that will harm my baby. According to what I learned in my years in Medical School, exercise is incredibly beneficial to the health of pregnant women and baby. If you ran/exercised regularly BEFORE getting pregnant, it’s fine to continue – as long as you take some precautions and FIRST CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR. It is recommended to eat healthy and exercise during pregnancy BUT, it’s NOT the time to try a new fitness routine.  I have a “go” signal from my OB and from my husband who’s also a medical doctor. I have all the medical guidance I can get, so it’s OKAY!:) For me, exercise not only helped me a lot with my nausea during my first trimester, but it kept me sane, with energy and no aches and pains.

STATEMENT 3: “Enjoy (insert activity) while you still can.”
You will never again have time to (insert activity) once the baby comes. In fact, you’ll never have time to do ANYTHING. You’ll simply be a shell of your former self.”

Haha.:) Yup I get this …A LOT!:)

I happen to know plenty of awesome parents who still watch movies, play sports, and enjoy dinners at restaurants. I know many working moms with successful careers and happy children. So I’m not buying this whole idea that life suddenly ends when you have a baby. Sure, life changes a lot!  Maybe my new exercise routine will be pushing my babies around the neighborhood in their jogging stroller (which I am very much looking forward to! :)) My night outs with my husband will have to be planned instead of spontaneous. But neither of us would have it any other way. We know that we’ll just have to adjust everything accordingly.:)

There’s more but I’ll end it here. I think I said more than enough.:) Really, there’s more I can think of that people and social media can do to paint a horrible picture of pregnancy, birth and motherhood in general. I am in favor of good and enjoyable pregnancy (and delivery, and motherhood) and that starts with the act of choosing to listen to the better, positive, more encouraging, realistic side of things. I think that’s what really is helping me more now to focus on the blessing of having such a wonderful miracle. On the one hand, it is reading stories and talking to my wonderful mom friends that boost faith and courage, and be inspired by them. Pregnancy does not necessarily have to be restricting and burdensome. God designed it to be 40 weeks so we can muster enough knowledge, courage, and faith to bring about the wonders and challenges of a new life.  I still have a halfway to go and I pray for even more vibrant pregnancy.

How about you, pregnant or planning to be, have you ever encountered these statements? What do you wish people knew?

Thanks for listening to my rants, confessions and hormonal monologues. LOL! :)

To end this post, I’d like to share our baby website here

(http://Ja-and-Leo.ourbabychannel.com/).

Feel free to sign our guestbook as you check in!:)

Have a great week!XoXo,
Ja
If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visting!

OTHER PLACES TO LEGALLY STALK ME:
> MY BLOG’S FACEBOOK PAGE: JA-ONTHERUN BLOG
> CHECK OUT MY SILLY PHOTO ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM: @JA_ONTHERUN
> TWITTER: @JA_ONTHERUN
> PINTEREST: http://www.pinterest.com/JaOnTheRun
> DAILY MILE: http://www.dailymile.com/people/ja_ml
> BLOGLOVIN: http://www.bloglovin.com/jaontherun

41 thoughts on “20 Weeks! Halfway There!

1. Sue @ This Mama Runs For Cupcakes

Ahhh! You are so cute! I remember that ginormous body pillow, my husband hated that thing because I’m pretty sure I loved it more than I loved him sometimes😉

2. Rachel B

Awww look how cute you are! Man, people say the WEIRDEST shit to you when you’re pregnant. I remember one time I was out walking my dog who is half rottweiler and some older woman comes up to me, tells me my dog is going to kill my baby and then tries to rub some weird crystal on my stomach…. Um, oh hells naw. But I actually prefer the things said while being pregnant, albeit however stupid, to some of the things people say to you when you’ve just had your baby. Ugh.

3. Karen :0)

Although I’m not pregnant, I hear the whole “Enjoy your time now while you can without kids..once you have kids, your life pretty much ends”. It makes me incredibly sad – I know people mean well but I would rather not hear it in that way, and I don’t necessarily think that’s true. You’re right though, people will always have an opinion, even if we would rather not hear it.

4. Carla Bruns (@RealInto)

I think it’s odd how these “helpful” statements are really just mean and quite frankly untrue. You’ll get to do whatever you want after the baby comes, it might just be in a new way, and you may find new things you like to do with baby. I think your little bump is cute. Boys are wonderful! I have two of my own and one grandson. I like the way they cling to mama when they are little. Maternity clothes are so much nicer now than when I was pregnant. I’m sure more comfortable too. I sleep with a body pillow and I’m not pregnant.:)

5. Mary @ Fit and Fed

Definitely a bump! I’m glad you found some clothes you are comfortable in! Keep brushing off those comments! I got PLENTY of comments on my pregnancy and parenting choices, whether it was somebody who that thought baby should be wearing socks or should be obeying the word ‘no’ or whatnot. And I had my babies at home, I have to give credit to my parents and in-laws for not making any negative comments about that!

6. Melanie

You look darling and you’re so lucky you haven’t really been sick. :-) I love your cute T-Shirts too. I’m excited you’ll be having a sweet little boy. So fun!

7. MCM Mama (@mcmmama)

Maternity clothes are so much cuter now than they used to be…
    People are going to have opinions and are going to share them. My kids are 12 and 8 and people still butt in. I just try to take any useful nuggets they might share and then move on.

Congrats on being halfway there!

8. crazyrunninglegs

I see your bump!! (congrats!!). You look adorable. And you are just blooming. Lol. What? Who says that?? Did you suddenly become a flower??? Dude, people say the WEIRDEST stuff to you when you’re pregnant. I wish I could tell you it stops as it progresses, but nope. Keep working out and ENJOY those stares/comments. At the end people are going to think you’re going to go into labor on them. It becomes pretty humorous.

I CRAVED pho hardcore when I was pregnant with E. There were a place across the street from me and I think one week I ate it every day. I don’t regret it!

Man, I wish I had bought one of those pregnancy pillows. If there was anything I regretted not buying while I was pregnant (with all 3!) it’s one of those. It looks SO comfy!

(this might be a double post – I can’t tell if the other one went through!!)

9. Michelle

10. Sun

Many congrats on your pregnancy! I think it is awesome that you are still able to run while pregnant – it seems like it would be great for both mom and baby:)

11. Brittany

You look amazing, and I LOVE that you are running. Should I ever get pregnant, you better believe I will be running EVERY chance I can!! I see NOTHING wrong with that!

12. Renee

Hurray for halfway! The most irritating thing people said to me was “you’re not showing at all” I know that they meant it as a compliment, but I just took it as, you always look this fat.

13. harveylisam

I haven’t visited in a while so I didn’t know about the pregnancy – CONGRATS!!! That is just so exciting.:)

Also, people are nutso. End of story. Ignore those silly comments (but you already knew that).😉

14. OneMotherofaDay

Congrats again! I cant believe you are already half way through! I also love those shirts with the baby feet on your belly, so cute. I will have to remember that for my next one.
    I remember when I was pregnant with my son and still kept up my running, actually more like a very fast walk by the end and would “run” on the local trail and I would get looks from others. I stopped at about 6-7 months because my HR was just getting too high. I ran a half marathon when I was only 6 weeks along but, in my defense I didn’t know I was pregnant at the time. People will comment, judge, criticize for things you say/do/think, etc and unfortunately those things wont stop once you have a baby it will just be a different topic but you just have to remember you do what you need to do for the benefit of you and your baby and do what is best and ignore what others are saying. Hope the rest of the pregnancy goes smoothly for you! Keep those running pics coming on IG!

15. Amy Lauren

I think it’s great you’re running and being active when pregnant. I do agree those comments are crazy. I think it is worse in small towns and places where there aren’t tons of runners and active people. Also I tend to always be around active people so I wonder if, if I ever get pregnant, how often I’ll get that from my friends😉. I would be really peeved if a stranger tried to touch my belly because I’m already really weirded out by touchy-feely ness unless I know the person well!

I’m not even pregnant and I could totally go for that awesome side body pillow! Looks comfy!

1. Ja @Ja on the RUN Post author

Oh no, no to touching the belly. So far no one has done that to me yet. I guess because I’m not showing that much yet. But that’s going to be weird if a stranger touches me.
      Yup I am planning to use my body pillow even after delivery.:)

16. Piper's Run

Yeah for 1/2 way there! I think it’s awesome that your running/active – it has such great benefits for you and the baby! I had lots of comments during both of my pregnancies – don’t run, your having a boy because of…, and strangers coming up and rubbing my belly! That drove me nuts! Do what you feel us right.

Share Your Thoughts ...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s