Yo-Gas! :)

Ummm…ok how do I say this?

Most people would consider me as a shy person. That said, I have this fear of being humiliated in a room full of people I don’t know. But yesterday in yoga class, for the first time in my life, the thing I feared the most happened. I was moving into Reverse Warrior pose, and… a quick “prrrrup”.

I was mortified! My mind grinded to a halt. My yogic, calm trance was interrupted by a supreme embarrassment.

“Did that just happened?” Yes, that… just… happened! Holy crap!

“Oh please please please I hope no one heard it!”

I know it was a little audible, but NOT smelly (thank goodness!). I peeked to my right …and left, everyone looked serious and focused on themselves. It seemed like no one noticed. I felt relieved! I couldn’t believe and totally did not expect that! I kept breathing, held my pose, and quickly my embarrassment passed. Then I started giggling in my head. πŸ™‚

With 15 minutes left to go in class, my paranoia set in.

Were they just trying to be mature by not reacting to it? What if they actually heard it?

Aaaawkward!

I tried to glance at everyone’s faces to see if they are secretly laughing – they still looked serious. I tried to compose myself during the “Corpse Pose”. While everyone looked so relaxed, my mind was screaming and getting paranoid. OMG! What if it was loud enough for them to hear it. I can never show my ass I mean my face in this class ever again. Lol!

After class, the lady next to me started a conversation with me about some random topic while rolling up our mats. It seemed like she didn’t hear anything at all. So yeah, that calmed me down a bit.

I know some people wont do yoga for that reason. I remembered my uncle’s friend who’s a yoga instructor told him that “it” does happen. Yoga poses can really make you escape winds. What do you think all that pushing, pulling and stretching is doing? Removing toxins by sweat, breath and yes, farting. LOL! I didn’t think it will be a big deal. I was confident it will not happen to me, until it happened to me!

I don’t know what possessed me to write about this topic on my blog. I hope you don’t judge me after this. It took a lot of guts and courage for me – to claim something so embarrassing. I just want to keep it real here on my blog. I don’t intend to just share only the good stuff though – how good I feel about myself after workouts, eating right,… etc. My life isn’t always happy and glamourous. I’m only human and like others I have bad embarrassing days too.

Yes, I’m still mortified when I think about it, then I saw this video on my Facebook feed – what a perfect timing! It’s too funny but this alleviated my anxiety a bit. It reminded me that “we’re all human, and that the ego is what creates embarrassment.”

Hahahaha!

So there you go! Your turn!

Spill: Has this ever happened to you? Do you have an embarrassing yoga/exercise story? What yoga poses make you “toot”? πŸ™‚

Don’t be afraid to share. We’re all friends here! ;-) I love yoga and I’m going back to class again this week! If you ever happen to be in the same class with me, don’t be afraid to place your mat near mine. πŸ™‚

NAMASTE! πŸ™‚

Xoxo, JOTR

LINKS:
Like my blog’s facebook page here: Ja-ontheRUN Blog
Check out my silly photo adventures on Instagram here: @ja_ontherun

Love Sweaty Bands, they don’t slip! Click here to get 5% off.
Ellie offers women a chic new line in women’s fitness apparel.Save 20% Now
Bulu Box $10.00 Discount code: BULUGAN984

Advertisements

36 thoughts on “Yo-Gas! :)

1. livliveslife

I love that you wrote about this! I think I would have been totally embarrassed too, but really, like you said – it happens to everyone. I don’t take yoga classes (I just do it at home), but I took a short one a few years ago and it seemed like everyone was “yo-gassing!” The 4th grader in my mind laughed, but like I said, I realize that everyone does it (needs to do it!), so in my opinion, it’s no big deal! πŸ™‚

2. Pingback: My Partner On The Run. | Ja on the RUN

3. Beth @ Running with the Sunrise

I don’t know of any yogi who hasn’t accidentally farted in class. All of the twisting poses are actually meant to get your digestion going, so it’s almost natural that a fart will happen every once in a while. At the same time, I think everyone who walks into a yoga class should understand that it can happen and not judge when someone else has a little flatulence because it will happen to everyone if you practice enough yoga. Just ask your yoga teacher; he or she will tell you about how common it is and probably has some funny stories, too. πŸ™‚

4. Emily

This is too funny – I drink coffee followed by lots of water for a few hours before a class to make sure to get rid off anything that could cause gas. That said, if it’s that lucky time of month (right…), I totally skip classes.

5. Brittany

HAHA YES!! This happens to everyone I swear!! It’s the worst if it happens in HOT YOGA!! It’s totally normal though and as long as I am along (without a friend in class) I don’t even react when I hear someone fart. If I were with a friend though it would be hard to hold back. I am glad you shared!

1. Ja @Ja on the RUN Post author

Haha! My husband was actually there with me. After class I asked him if he heard something, he said nothing. Then I told him about this. He said, if it was loud, he would just pretend he doesn’t know me. LOL!
      I agree, it’s hard if it happens to your buddy in class. It’s hard not to laugh LOL! πŸ™‚

6. Anne (@runningmom2boys)

Laughing the whole time while reading this! It hasn’t happened to me…Yet…but I really think about what I eat during the day before attending a class. It is definitely one of my irrational fears. Happens to most people at one time or another, I would imagine!

1. Ja @Ja on the RUN Post author

OMG Anne! I never expected this to happen to me. It just happened! The weird thing is I didn’t eat anything before the class. I guess I’m one of those UNLUCKY ones. LOL! πŸ™‚

7. Nicole @ FruitnFitness

Laughing non stop while reading this! Not because its funny, it happens all the time but I totally understand what you were thinking. I had this issue on the treadmill once at the gym and was mortified! I wanted to leave right away but after looking around no one seemed to notice.

1. Ja @Ja on the RUN Post author

Haha! It’s ok Nicole. I can’t help but laugh too when I think about it. LOL!
      I was so paranoid but after that I didn’t care. LOL! I’m relieved knowing it happens to everyone. πŸ™‚

8. Britt @ BrittsRunningStyle

Too funny! I haven’t had that happen during a yoga class, mostly because I don’t attend many, but it happens to some of my clients at work. I have them stretching and doing core exercises and they get so embarassed. I always say “Hey, no big deal, that’s what happens when you workout!”

1. Ja @Ja on the RUN Post author

Haha. I’m having a good laugh too this morning reading all these comments.
      I’m glad people are open minded about these things.

Have a great day too Brittany and thanks for stopping by! πŸ™‚

1. Ja @Ja on the RUN Post author

Any runner surely has a bathroom emergency tale to tell. I hear a lot of stories of those. LOL! πŸ™‚ I have friends who joins triathlons and they have so many gross and embarrassing tales to share.
      Oh no! I hope I don’t get that far, please. LOL!

1. Ja @Ja on the RUN Post author

Hey Kat! LOL!
      I’m glad relieved I’m not alone in this. LOL!
      I just learned that it’s normal to toot on your first few days of yoga. πŸ™‚ LOL! I thought that was just a myth until it happened to me. I still can’t believe it but now I just laugh about it lol! πŸ™‚
      Haha! Have a great day! πŸ™‚

9. Tink

Lol! Don’t worry, it happens to the best of us! Now here’s something super gross: I can’t tell you how many times I’ve let it go on the track! When it comes down to being uncomfortable or pausing my run, I’ll let it go! I just try to do it strategically when no one’s around πŸ˜‰

1. Ja @Ja on the RUN Post author

Hahaha! That’s awesome! :))
      LOL! Thanks for the that. I need to think of a strategy too the next time I feel it’s coming instead of holding it in. Haha.
      But last Sunday’s was just totally unexpected. Lol!!!

10. Amy Lauren

It happens, especially yoga and running. Instructors know it happens- I hear people fart in yoga, it’s like whatevs. When we do long runs on Saturday morning, I see one guy go to the other side of the road occasionally and he comes back and says yeah, I wanted to spare you guys from last night’s dinner. Eventually once you get close to people in a class or on a group run you get used to it and know it’s just a bodily function.

But yoga is really bad for gas… I guess bc it relaxes all those muscles down there… haha.

1. Ja @Ja on the RUN Post author

Haha. That’s very nice of your friend to stay away from you guys. You don’t want to breathe that air. πŸ™‚ Lol!
      Yup, very true. Exercising in general tends to stir things up. πŸ™‚

11. slowgirlfastdog

Ok, it’s not a fart story (which was really funny…and it happens) but mine is an embarrassing running story. You know those pads that are inserted in sports bras and bathing suits? Well, I always take them out but one day I thought I would put it back inside the bra’s secret pad compartment but I couldn’t get it in there so I just put the pad down my bra. No big deal, I thought…it will stay there. Well, I was running with my running group and after about an hour the pad just pops out of the top of my shirt!! It had crept its way out of the bra, up my chest, out of my shirt and onto the ground. I was embarrassed for sure but acted like I meant to do that…the magic bra pad trick. πŸ™‚

12. Kidd

Haha, that’s a funny story. I am glad you shared it with everyone. It has never happened to me before during yoga class. However, I did make a toot while doing push ups once. I was trying really hard to beat my record by 5, then toot! No body was around me at the time. Thank goodness!

1. Ja @Ja on the RUN Post author

Hi Kidd,
      I definitely had second thoughts about sharing this topic to my blog. LOL! I was happy it wasn’t that loud or else…OMG I will never forgive myself. LOL!

I guess tooting just only means you are working really hard, so good job on those push ups!!! πŸ™‚

13. Amanda

Hahaha! This used to happen when I took yoga classes at college. It still happens when I run too! Thankfully, I don’t usually run at the gym, so I don’t worry too much about it.

1. Ja @Ja on the RUN Post author

OMG! Reminded me of my school mate back in higschool who was tooting everytime she jumps on hurdles in our track and field class. So funny!
      Thanks Amanda! Now I know stuff like this could really happen in yoga class. LOL!!! πŸ™‚

14. Jen @nutcaseinpoint

hahaha that video is hilarious! I have definitely tooted a few times while teaching group fitness. I think it’s almost expected when you are jumping and contorting and straining your body. The worst is when I have done it in a lecture or class!!! hahaha

Share Your Thoughts ...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s