Why I Love Running

Running got me to start this blog and today marks my one two three four five six seven months of blogging!!!

I am enjoying it so far. I am having fun sharing my everyday journey to the world and reading all your comments and emails. πŸ™‚ It gives me so much happiness when I meet people who loves the sport too.

I am asked what is it about running that I love so much. I am never really able to give an answer right away.

I just do.

I run for my sanity.

I find inner peace in running. You can talk to yourself and figure out your thoughts. It is when I do some of my best thinking…. really! Sometimes I would find myself narrating in my mind the process of Glycolysis and Krebs Cycle when I’m running. πŸ™‚ Seriously!

I remember the day that hooked me to running. I know I talked about it a little in my About me page the reason why I started. It was because I was packing it on…the pounds that is. I started to feel the urge to become active and healthy. I signed up for 5Ks and eventually for a half marathon last May. The pounds started to drop off slowly, and then I started feeling good about myself. I feel lighter, healthier and more alert everyday. Once I realized running was my ticket to weight loss, and then maintaining it, there was no turning back. My passion for running grew so quickly that I continued to train to improve myself.

My first Half Marathon – May 2012

I know I lost only a small amount of weight and you might think this is just nothing compared to other people’s 100+ pound weight loss success stories. But like most of them, losing weight was never easy for me. I certainly had ups and downs too during the process. This may not please everyone, but I am not here to please everyone. At first it was just about losing the extra weight, which is a good thing, but then NOW, it is actually becoming strong and healthy. I am sharing this to give you the motivation that anyone can start doing this. You don’t have to wait until the scale says a certain number and become overweight before you start living healthy. Yes, I have a lot more to learn, I do admit. I strive to learn as much as I possibly can each day.

Running introduced me to do other workouts, like kickboxing and pilates which became my favorite now. I learned that it is important to incorporate other exercises to your training plans to workout other muscle groups of your body.

Lastly, running makes me feel good.There is not a run that I β€œregret” doing. It’s not always easy and it’s not always enjoyable especially when it’s 100+ degrees outside. But, I have never returned home from a run sad.

I love this running quote.
source

If you have ever thought about running, I encourage you to give it a try. What you can accomplish may surprise you. πŸ™‚

There you go, now it’s your turn! I’d love to hear your thoughts on what you love most about running?

Advertisements

38 thoughts on “Why I Love Running

1. Tink

Great reasons! While I have so many different ones, my number one reason for running is because it makes me feel like strong, like I can conquer the world!

1. Ja @Ja on the RUN

Great to meet you and thanks for stopping by! I love meeting all runners from across the country as well. All of you guys inspire me to continue what I’m doing!

Happy Running! πŸ™‚

2. Cait the Arty Runnerchick

couldn’t have picked a better title for this post…love it! ya, i’m not even sorry i’m totally obsessedo with running. πŸ™‚ i know it’s made me a better person as it teaches SO many lessons that can be applied to life. πŸ™‚
    CONGRATS on all ur progress, the weight loss is huge, but i’m more proud that u’re focused on how much healthier and happier u are versus how much skinnier. keep it up!

3. Amy Lauren

Your curry recipe down there looks so good. We will definitely be making that soon! And yes, running is awesome and definitely something to do because you love it, not to lose weight (but yes, I lost weight too when I started, and I’d always had trouble losing weight and at first actually needed to drop a couple pounds- that was years ago). Plus it’s a great way to meet new friends, that’s how I met so many people when I moved here!

1. Ja @Ja on RUN Post author

Thanks Amy!!! πŸ™‚

Yup… it’s not about losing weight/being skinny anymore… it’s the fun and health benefits you get from it!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Have a great day! πŸ™‚

4. Molly

Running is my free therapy. It’s something I make time for in my day to just focus on ME. I don’t think, I just run. I never realized how beneficial it would be, and how amazing it would feel, until I started running regularly last year. It’s really transformed me (both physically & mentally) πŸ™‚ And congrats on 7 months of blogging!!

5. Ricardo Bueno

I love the sense of accomplishment after every run. Whether it’s because I ran an extra mile longer or ran a minute faster… There’s always a sense of accomplishment and a feeling of improvement that comes after every run.

6. Dawn Robinson (@dawnro1101)

I’m not much of a runner now but I can walk forever. I love the time like you do. It’s a great way to clear my head and get thoughts out. It’s so nice to have that “me” time and know that I am doing something good for my body at the same time.

7. wanderingsneaks

I started running for the same reason! I used it as my source for any unwanted emotion and soon I startd to loose weight. Today I weigh 40 lbs less than before I ran. Now I have so much more confidence! Go us! πŸ™‚

1. Ja @Ja on RUN Post author

Wow! Congratulations on your weight loss! That’s awesome!!! There’s no turning back after seeing results right?!
      Running is really a good cardio!

Cheers!!! πŸ™‚ Happy Running!

8. Kidd

I have always been active, but with sports teams like volleyball, basketball and ultimate frisbee. I needed something else, something for myself so I started running. It has been on and off for the past several years, but since summer I have ran more than ever. Running is my time to find my inner peace and to challenge myself on how far I can go.

1. Ja @Ja on RUN Post author

Exactly! It’s the adventures, the good people you meet along the way and the good energy it gives you. The great benefits you get from it. There’s really no turning back. =)

9. eva

Great post, jam 1905, and so true.
    Running makes me a better person (hmm, I mean: I hope so…). I cannot imagine myself without it anymore.
    Thank you for your interest in my blog and happy running!

1. Ja @Ja on RUN Post author

Thanks. A lot are still asking why I run. I just show them this post LOL! πŸ™‚ Then encourage them. It’s hard to really explain to people who are not doing it. You have to be in it to understand it.

10. ZekeRunning

Great blog! Nice to see someone that has started and stayed with it. Gives me hope I can maintain it also. I never realized how addicting running can be. Keep Running!

11. Buckeye Mark

Like your thoughts on why you run and the thoughts others provided. I know for me it is a centering process. I often don’t listen to music or anything else. Sometimes I just empty my head and there is nothing else in the world, but my run. Almost like purging all that noise and clutter in my head. I feel mentally refreshed when I’m done – even if I am physically drained.

1. Ja @Ja on RUN Post author

I used to listen to music when I run but now I leave my Ipod at home. I realized it’s better to listen to my breathing and the rhythm of my steps.

Really appreciate you dropping by to share your thoughts. I really am curious about why people love the sport.

12. brookeg20

I love this! I just made a list a few weeks ago about reasons why I run for me to pull out and read on days I feel really unmotivated, and our lists look very similar. Don’t worry about the pounds, I haven’t lost a single ounce and went down two dress sizes. Keep up the great work, you should be really proud of yourself.

Can’t wait until I have my first half-marathon picture to post!!

1. Ja @Ja on RUN Post author

Thanks for the kind words… really appreciate it. πŸ™‚ What matters now is to become healthy and strong. My scale stopped at 122lbs. I thought maybe that’s the weight I should be at. As I continue to workout, I’m losing fats and gaining muscle mass. πŸ™‚ Goodluck with your training!

I look forward to your half marathon picture! Keep being an inspiration to others! πŸ™‚ Go run happy! πŸ™‚

Share Your Thoughts ...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s